The clouds were crying that cold December night. It was Tuesday, and it was dark. I rushed home, frenzied. Walk quickly, I thought. I was to pick up two of my roommates and head into the night to the other side of town. Across the district we crawled, the bright red eyes of the vehicle-demons splotchy in my windshield. There were hundreds of them there. No, thousands. At a snail's pace we crawled, changing lanes at the drop of a hat, yet never seeming to go very far. Finally, we arrived at the Rock n Roll Hotel. The rain still came down in cacophonous sheets of wetness and chill. The street was lined with cars, cooling off in the ebony end of day. I slowly drove past the doors of the hotel. James! There he was, entering the building. We called his name, he looked up. He presented me with a piece of paper designed to keep my ticket-free while we remained at the hotel.
Okay, I can't keep this up. Here's how it happened, people. Kristen, Bridget and I came in on the last of Shara's sound check. We chatted it up, hugged it out, and decided to meet up at the coffee shop next door so K, B and I could get dinner. Shara met up with us at the coffee shop. We talked, we laughed, we caught up. Then we went back to the venue and hung out in the green room with the other band members. It was such fun! We told stories, we shared greasy bar food. The show started a bit late, and every minute of it was gold. Clare & The Reasons are divine. I'm listening to their CD The Movie right now. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Shara and I danced in the audience as they played "Rodi." Then Shara came out and put on a show to impress the dullest of the attendees. We danced, we swayed, we cheered. She trilled, jived, and serenaded. Glorious. My roommates were quite impressed. James did an excellent job manning the CD/goodies table. Then he did an excellent job in the final number of the set when the puppet show took place. Amazing. It brought a tear to my eye. Good song. Great show.
So then we hugged it out, said "See you in a couple weeks" and walked into the night again to return to 925. We all loved every minute of it. (Oh, by the way I didn't end the night ticket free. Don't worry, I'm contesting it.)

1 comment:
Loved the summary, Gilli! The first paragraph was totally the bomb, and I was wondering how long you could keep that up! Thank you very much for writing it!
Post a Comment